Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas 2010

We enjoyed a nice, relaxing Christmas this year!
I am happy to say that the kids got through the day with overall great attitudes.

  They were thankful for their presents and handled themselves really well.

I wish I could say what contributed to our success so that I can be sure to repeat it next year, but honestly, I'm not quite sure. 

For kids who have been through significant trauma, holidays and special occasions can be difficult.  Our experiences during many of these days has attested to this.

Brad and I kept Christmas very simple this year.  Each kid got one present and a stocking.

My mom gave them each something that they opened on Christmas Eve.  I think with them only having the one present to focus on they were able to appreciate it and not feel overwhelmed with feelings of not deserving what they got.  (In my experience, these feelings has led them to exhibit behaviors to prove to us that they didn't feel deserving.) 

Anyway, maybe it was the simpleness of this Christmas.
Maybe it was a sign of the progress they have made.
I know that we are being blessed and I thank God daily for His watchful care over us. 


2 comments:

Melanie said...

What a great Christmas! Your kids all look so happy. Glad you were able to have a nice calm day!

Jillian and Crew said...

I love the simple Christmas and I agree 100% they can enjoy that one thing or two things and play...not being as overwhelmed really helps them regulate.Our "Vivace" can't handle wrapping paper or a big intro "we gave this to you because we saw it and thought of you and know how you like...blah blah"...he does better with just "this is for you" and no wrapping or anything..