Monday, June 21, 2010

What do you do when...

"Kids don't come with a manual."

I have heard this said over and over again throughout my life.  I even heard it again yesterday in church.  I understand where parents are coming from when they say it and I have probably said it myself from time to time.

However, I have to say that I DISAGREE with that statement!  We have been given everything we need in order to raise our kids correctly.  A loving Heavenly Father would not send us down and give us responsibilities, the most important of those being our children, without giving us guidance.  Not only has he given us scripture to learn from, He has given us an example to follow that will never fail us.  This example was Jesus Christ.  Most importantly, he has given us prayer!!  

I have been absolutely AMAZED and so full of gratitude at seeing my heartfelt, sincere prayers being answered over and over again.  Each time I come across a situation with my kids that I'm not sure how to best handle, I turn to my Father in prayer.  Each time I do so, I am given direction and inspiration.  

As I pray for increased love, the ability to see my children as He sees them, the patience and love that Christ possesses, I receive it.  I have no doubt in my mind that prayer is the best possible tool we as parents have in raising our children.  

Prayer can be used when we pray together while kneeling in family prayer and to pray for them while kneeling in private prayer.  Also, to pray for ourselves as their parents.  As I have prayed for insight into their souls and what they need invariably I have received it.  I find the more detailed and clear I am as I pray for my children individually, the more clear and detailed His answers are.  

In raising my traumatized children, I have read numerous book on parenting in general as well as raising emotionally disturbed children.  One book in particular has, hands down, had a tremendous impact on how I parent and how I handle different situations with my children.  Since reading it, I have come to enjoy my children so much more and I feel much more confident that I'm doing the right thing.  I HIGHLY recommend it to ALL parents of all types of children.

The book is called "Christlike Parenting" written by Dr. Glenn I. Latham.  I have been praying for years to be able to possess the kind of love that Christ had for all people and feel that I have made progress over time.  However, after reading this book, my relationship with my children has drastically improved!  I feel that after many prayers to become for Christlike in my parenting I have been guided to find this book.

I just couldn't keep it to myself.  It's that valuable. 

2 comments:

ShopHotPinkDiaries said...

im gonna check n see if seagull bk has it! we're in st. george for about a month yay!! thanks for sharing about this book! :)

Morris Mama said...

I LOVE Dr. Latham!

He wrote another book called the Power of Positive Parenting. It's AMAZING!

It's not religion based but it works magic and really helps you create a wonderful bond between parents and their kids.

He also has lots of great parenting CD's.

Thanks for recommending this one Heather, I will for sure get it!