Monday, December 22, 2008

Jada in the Hospital

Last Tuesday, around 3:30 in the morning, my sweet Jada woke-up crying. After Brad got her out of bed, we felt her raging temperature and noticed she was having a lot of difficulty breathing. She has a history of asthma related symptoms that can get bad really fast, so instead of trying to wait it out, I took her to the ER.

My hopes of having a short stay were shot down. In the ER she received steroid injections and several breathing treatments, but her body didn't respond very well to them and her oxygen levels stayed dangerously low, so she was admitted.

My typically lively Jada was so somber and lethargic. She continued to have to work laboriously for breath and to no avail. The alarm on the monitor she wore to read her oxygen levels continued to go off night and day, making our hospital room one with a revolving door as nurses, respiratory specialists, and doctors came in to help her.

She was able to muster a little energy for her visitors during the day, but it quickly drained her.
Our second night there she was getting worse and her rising temperature wasn't responding to the Motrin she was given. So the doctors got more aggressive with their treatments. She had another chest ex-ray taken that showed she had pneumonia. I was relieved to finally find the reason for her being so ill. Now we had something to treat.

After about 2 full days, she started to feel better. So we ventured out of the room to see what the pediatric unit had to offer us. We found a play-room, she found a wagon and fell in love. She still didn't feel well enough to do anything, but she loved being pulled around in the wagon. So round and round the peds unit we went for a LONG time.

The nurses and NAs were so good to us. They gave Jada tons of things including a blanket and pillow, 7 beanie babies, dolls, coloring books, bubbles, play-dough...

On Friday, when she was released, she ended up with all this! Early Christmas to say the least.
We were both glad to be home. And it was just in time, we got home on Friday afternoon just hours before be were scheduled to be at the Temple for our SEALING!

I have to say though, that I LOVED being able to spend so much uninterrupted time with her. I think I held her probably 90% of the time we were in the hospital. Even at night, we cuddled up together in her bed and tried to sleep (sleep in the hospital is very relative, not much of it happens there, we were woken up at least every hour and a half). I am so grateful for the time we were given with each other. I feel an even stronger bond with her now.


KaraLyn said...

I'm glad she is feeling better! There is nothing worse than your baby being sick and not knowing what is going on! And congrats on your sealing! What a neat experience for your family! Good luck with your move! And I know with the "blogging world" we will keep in touch! YEA for technology to help us stay in contact!

Sarah said...

Poor baby! Well I'm glad she's better, and you took her in instead of staying home! COngrats on the sealing, how awesome!

Julie said...

That is scary! I'm glad she's feeling better. I thought the sealing was beautiful and I was glad I could be a part of it. Congratulations on your forever family!

Turley Family said...

Wow what a scare! Karstin also has Asthma and he gets any kind of respiratory illness very easy. I am pretty scared when he has trouble breathing. We have had to go to the ER once too. I am glad that Jada is feeling better.

Karol Turley said...

"Jada, what's your name Jada?"
I sure love that little stinker!!! Love, Love, LOVE her!!!!

superior said...

You these things, I have read twice, for me, this is a relatively rare phenomenon!
handmade jewelry