Saturday, April 5, 2008

Trip to South Dakota

This was our first annual trip to Rapid City, South Dakota to visit Gramma Mia. Since our second one is just around the corner, I thought I'd post this one before that happens. The day after we got all four of the kids full time we loaded up and started our 24 hour drive to see Gramma. Brad and I knew that this would be a big undertaking before we started, but WHOA!!

We did survive though. For a couple of brand new parents suddenly become parents of 4 ages 7, 5, 4, and 1 we were in for the shock of a lifetime. Looking back on it 10 months later, we can laugh about how naive we were. We still have soooooooooooo far to go in becoming expert parents. Actually, don't think we'll ever get there.

Before we got the kids, I had all kinds of theories and ideas on how to best raise kids. Now I've got squat. I do know that none of the theories I had work though. Haha. You live and you learn. I've got the living part down anyway, still working on the learning. Hopefully I'll get it someday.

No, I would say that we have come a long way as a family. We've always felt love for each other, even at the beginning, but that love has grown and continues to grow.

On the way there, we stopped in Colorado Springs, Colorado to eat lunch. We were at the top of a hill with a beautiful view. The kids all got out and played on Brad and Jason's (my brother) motorcycles.
This was a rare, blessed, moment when all 4 kids fell asleep. This was a very wild 24 hour car ride. Anyone with kids knows about that though.
After we got to Gramma's house, the tired mood and the constant "This is a really really long drive!" over and over changed to a mood of pure excitement. While we were there we went to Old Macdonald's Farm and got to see and pet a bunch of farm animals.


















Nap time for Jada (3 hours ago).
Lauren (my youngest sister) and Jasmine laying down for bed time.

On another day, we went to a reptile place. I can't remember what it was called.


Brad and Jason tried to go riding on their dirt bikes but got caught in a bunch of mud and had to push their bikes back to the car, only to get to the car and find out they had locked the keys in it. Now they're out in the middle of a huge field, no civilization around, stuck in mud and rain with no way to get into the car or contact anyone. Brad broke a window on the car (the smallest one) to get in. His thinking was that we could fix it before we left. After a bunch of calls to ask about fixing it, he was told that he broke the most expensive window and the hardest one to get. No one could do it until after we would leave. So we taped it up, red neck style and had a constant breeze in the car the entire way home. Next time, we'll break a wind shield. Insurance will cover that.Church on Sunday. That's my brother Justin sitting next to Brad.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

24 hour drive?? YIKES!!! Looks like the reward was definitely worth it! I can't believe how grown up your youngest siblings are!! I still remember everyone as little, little kids!

Josh & Melanie said...

It looks like you guys have so much fun together. I can't imagine that long of a drive with 4 kids! I hope this year's trip goes well for you guys, without any broken windows. :) And I think you are doing a great job at being a mommy!

Karol Turley said...

I loved last year's visit, and I'm so excited about this year's! Yay! Can't wait to throw my arms around you all! xoxoxoxoxoxo